Monday, January 21, 2013

The runner in front of me...

I managed to get out the door yesterday morning just before the temp cracked 10F.  My phone told me it felt like -7F.  Armed with proper gear and well placed facial hair...none of this was a problem.  The Forest Preserve was mine...and a random coyote's.

The first 10 miles were rough.  The last .4...were epic.  We'll call the day a win...with the exception of one, poorly executed bathroom stop around mile five.

I did see "the guy" again.  I'd seen him before.  Running ahead of me.  Every few weeks I see him.  Usually on the tough runs.  The runs that you look back on and are proud that you got out the door and put one foot in front of the other and got it done.  There he was...about a quarter mile ahead of me.  Pushing the pace.

And then I realized, it wasn't the same guy I had seen before.  It was a new guy.  This guy looked a little faster and a little stronger.  Left, right, left, right.  I thought I could catch him...but I never did.  As I finished my run, a glanced over my shoulder, behind me...and saw the guy I used to be chasing.    The "old guy".  I'd beaten him today.  Now I was on to the "new guy".  The guy who will finish just ahead of me at IMLP.  Maybe I'll catch him before then.  Maybe next time.  Maybe July, 28th.


No comments:

Post a Comment