Friday, February 8, 2013

Who is your "we"?

AM: 4.5 mile run, w/mile 3&4 at tempo

I still remember my first words to my wife after the 2006 Grandmas Marathon: "We did it."
The goal was simple for that race: 3:10 and qualify for Boston. I almost didn't even enjoy the race...I felt like I was going up there with a job to do. All business.
The race started well...I was hitting my early miles slightly under target pace and felt very good about finishing on time. And then the carnage began to unfold...temps and humidity soared and many had to adjust game plans. Except, I was in my own world...and just keep hammering out the miles. Unfortunately, the pace fell off. I saw my wife around mile 21...things were going south. At that point, I was pretty sure I was done. Later my wife would admit that she didn't think a 3:10 was possible at that point.
However, my all too brief encounter with my wife and 3 year old daughter...proved to be everything I needed. "We" were going to make it. And we did.
Recently, our town of Byron, IL rallied around our former high school football star, who is now with the Baltimore Ravens. After the Super Bowl, I can't tell you how many posted on social media, or made the comments that "We won!"...despite the fact that NONE of us had done SQUAT! But we felt part of the journey and part if the story. In many ways...we had won.
Our WE speaks volumes about our ME. And I'm blessed to have surrounded myself with family and friends who make ME, the best I can.
My WE certainly starts with my best friend and companions through life...my wife and daughters, Shannon and Elinor. But it extends to the people I work with, the students I interact with, my family members who, despite months-or years, away from, don't miss a best to say "I love you" or "I'm proud of you".
So many have a hand in my journey to July 28th, 2013...and together, WE are going to own Lake Placid.
Thanks for reading! Thanks for being part of my WE! Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment