Friday, May 17, 2013

I ride, I run, I swim, I sleep...I eat.

Friday:
AM: 50 min run
PM: 4,000 yd swim

Things are starting to get fun.  The long, cold, winter is an after thought.  I love training.  I love training.  I love training...and I LOVE racing.  

The big news of the past week is the IMLP swim start has been changed to a "rolling wave start".  In the IM world...this is big stuff.  99.99% of the rest of the world could care less...99.99% of the rest of the world doesn't even know what a "mass start" is.  In fact, they probably think it involves priests and holy water.  So who cares?  I was looking forward to the "whirlpool", as they call it.  But in the end, do you really think it matters?  Nope.  In the end, most people I talk to won't know the difference between a 11 hr finish and a 17 hr finish.  And they sure as hell aren't going to know, or care, if we all start together or 5 mins apart.  Keep focus.  Do the job at hand.  Don't get caught up in the drama.

Training has been going very well for me.  I've continued my lucky streak to not miss any workouts.  I had mild flair up of achilles tendinitis, which I was lucky enough to shuffle a few workouts and do a few new stretching exercises to take care.  I keep knocking on wood, thanking the triathlon gods, and eating.  Life is good.  Progress is being made.

It's graduation day on Sunday...I've got a great crew of seniors to say good bye to.  I've learned a lot from them during their four years...and it will be sad to see them go.  Along the way, I challenged many of them to "make their mark"...it's safe to say that they have left an indelible mark on little old Byron High School.  It's also safe to say that they have many, many more marks to make in the years ahead.  It is perhaps the greatest part of my job to watch them grow and go out into the world.  To the class of 2013...I salute you.

For your enjoyment...my favorite graduation speech:


Happy training...






No comments:

Post a Comment