Tuesday, June 11, 2013

9 Days In June & Race Goals (a work in progress)

The Big Tri Week...and the 9 days that might make my Ironman.

Sunday, June 2nd: 70 mile ride, 2 mile run
Monday, June 3rd: 1 hr swim, 6 mile run, easy 1 hour on bike
Tuesday, June 4th: 78 mile ride
Wednesday, June 5th: 45 min swim, 10 mile run
Thursday, June 6th: REST
Friday, June 7th: 88 mile ride,
Saturday, June 8th: 50 min swim, 8 mile run
Sunday, June 9th: 1 hour swim
Monday, June 10th: 107 mile ride, 6 mile run

Totals:
Swim-12,000 yds
Bike-360 miles
Run-32 miles
Time-27.5 hours

My wife is a saint.

With under 7 weeks to go, shits about to get real and my focus is starting to shift from all the little minutia of training to all the minutia of racing.  The race execution plan is evolving, but it's time to go on record with some goals.

Swim:  I think I can swim 1:15.  That's roughly 2:00/100yd pace, which is what I've been swimming most of workouts.  My last 4200yd swim was a little longer than 1:15, but wet suit and draft should help me out.  Great swim = 1:10, Bad Swim = 1:25...I'm pretty confident I'll land somewhere in between.

Bike:  I think I CAN go 5:45-5:50 on the bike.  I think I SHOULD go 6:00-6:05.  Doesn't seem like much difference, but it just might make all the difference.  A 6 hr ride is 18.5 mph average.  Most of my long rides have been in the 18.5-19.5mph range. Yesterday 107 was came in right at 18.8 mph and felt good.  Really good.  Most important thing for me on race day will be patience.

Run:  Just get me to the run baby.  I'm pretty sure I can run 8:00 min/mile pace.  But my game plan is to take the first 6 miles around 8:30.  After that, I'm hoping to set into the 8:00 min/pace until around mile 18...at which time I can begin to race.  I might not have anything left.  I might have some fast miles.  I just pray to the triathlon gods that I don't slow down.  Is 3:30 run possible?  Why not?

Above is my perfect race.  The plan is slowly evolving and might look a little different 46 days from now.  So many things can go wrong in a day like Ironman.  Race day will be all about my self management and reassessment of my goals as the day throws different things at me.  When it's all said and done...I just want to finish.


1 comment:

  1. After reading this I am just about exhausted! I know you will rock this! Can't wait to hear how it all goes. It sounds very scientific and well planned!

    ReplyDelete