Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Product Review-(Tri-Pep: Branch Chain Amino Acid)

Who doesn't like amino acids?  Carbon.  Hydrogen. Oxygen.  Nitrogen.  Yes, please.


So two weeks ago I was approached to do a product review on Tri-Pep: Branch Chain Amino Acid Powder for ChiTriBloggers (awesome website) and the awesome lady who runs it Nicole Kesten.  I was not paid in anyway shape or form and am not affiliated with the company (nor or any of my family members or friends).

With a name like Tri-Pep...it's got to be good for triathletes, right?  So let's break it down...the powder claims to:

  1. Improve Exercise Performance
  2. Accelerate Post Workout Recovery
  3. Preserve Lean Muscle Mass
Despite the name, I am pretty sure the intended market is more body builder athlete.  Something no one will ever confuse me with.  However, there seemed to be some benefits to be investigated.

Background:  I'm three and a half weeks out from Ironman Lake Placid.  As any good triathlete would know, I'm in the peak weeks just prior to taper.  My volume is high.  My intensity is high.  I can't eat enough.  I can't stay awake.  My life is pretty much a cluster at this point.  So it seemed like the perfect time to throw one more new thing at my body.  

Marketed as a dietary supplement, Tri-Pep is "ideal for any consumer who demands superior quality, uncompromising results, and is looking to increase lean muscle mass, strength, and maximize physical enhancement...guaranteed."  Bla, bla, bla...the real questions:  HOW DOES IT TASTE?!?!?!?  Short answer...not bad.  

Available in 4 Flavors:
Lemonade, Grape, Watermelon & Unflavored

The back of the packet has instructions for how much powder per oz of water.  I recommend making sure you hit this number correctly.  They suggest different amounts based on your ultimate goals from the product. 
 No suprise, I was focused on using the power as post workout recovery.  Coming off workouts ranging from tempo runs, long runs, hard bike intervals, long rides of 4-5 hours, and a mix of short swims and long swims.  So pretty much everything.  
I used the powder a few times as stand alone (just water) and a few time in my post workout smoothie.  No surprise that the powder went in the smoothie unnoticed.  As a stand alone drink, it was refreshingly smooth and had a decent taste.  Ironically, the "unflavored" had a very green tea flair to it...and was probably my favorite.  I actually put it in my green tea one day as a late afternoon drink.  Thumbs up.
So, next question:  DID IT WORK?  I've got no idea.
I've got to say I had no adverse reactions to the powder.  I will also say, that I have had excellent recovery throughout training for IMLP.  Last week was no different.  As an AP statistics teacher, a sample size of 1 is obviously meaningless.  However, I will gladly finish the samples provided to me and will consider purchasing some in the future. All in all...good product!



No comments:

Post a Comment