Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Perfect Green Smoothie

I haven't been sick for over 3 years.

Not a cold.  No flu.  Not a fever.  Not a sniffle.  Nothing.

Now, having written this statement on the world wide web, in front of God, Bill Belichick, and Lance Armstrong (different people...which is a surprise to them) I fully intended to be bedridden with the flu, chicken poxs, and hoof and mouth disease before the end of the week.

So what is my secret?  I haven't the slightest clue.  I'm just making this shit up as I go.  I read a lot.  I try lots of different things.  Training ideas.  Nutrition ideas.  Life hacks.  Bio hacks.  I don't even know what a "hack" is.  Some of them work.  Some don't.  What I'm about to share with you has been something that has worked.  And has ultimately led me to the creation of the perfect green smoothie.

It started with a simple idea:  vegan before 5   That was it...eat like a vegan before 5pm in the day...and then eat like a normal human for dinner and after dinner.  Yes, I just implied that vegans are not normal humans.

This challenge helped simplify things, because it left the two meals I am in charge of open to change.  Breakfast and lunch.  Lunch was an easy one.  Salad with some protein.  So that left breakfast.  I grabbed my blender and never looked back.  The secret?  No secret really, just put a bunch of good green stuff in and blend.  My usual consists of:

Kale or spinach 
Watercress 
Broccoli 
Apple or frozen peaches
Chia seeds
Flax seed
Spirulina or chlorella 
Full fat Greek yogurt
Small amount of "GreenGoodness" Naked Juice
Ice cubes


Boom.

Sometimes I add emergency powder for a little flavor and zip.  Sometimes some coconut.  You get the idea.  Cheers...happy blending.



1 comment:

  1. What's 'emergency powder'? I'm currently getting lots of fruit smoothies in alright, but haven't the nerve to start blending greens yet. And for something else rather banal... how do you normally clean your blender? The family is barred from putting anything in there other than fruit, juice or yoghurt. Salt? Lemon juice? Washing up liquid?

    ReplyDelete