Friday, August 28, 2015

Endurance Atheletes and The Blood Sugar Battle

Call me a little late to the party...but I am starting to figure out what makes my body tick.  And more importantly, not tick.
The highs and lows, the fueled up and famished, the green smoothies and cupcakes...two sides to ever coin in the endurance athlete's body.
While I've taken great pride in my diet (it's not perfect, but it's pretty good)...I have come to realize that I am still a slave to my blood sugar.  My solution?  Fat.  Lots of it.  Lots of creamy, good fat.
Of course this all started reading Ben Greenfield's book last summer.  The first time I read his book Beyond Training, I took note of his high fat approach and moved on.  But then I began to read more how endurance athletes (ultra marathoners in particular) are taking to approach and stoking their endurance engines by training their bodies to tap into their almost unlimited fat stores.  Worth trying?  Sure.
For the time being, I'm keeping it simple.  My mornings are starting out with a good, fat filled breakfast.  I've keep to eggs, avacados, full fat milk, coconut oil, grass-fed butter, and a few other gems (though not all at the same time).  I've been trying to keep the carbs low and keep the body in its "fat-burning" mood from the overnight.
What I've noticed:  I don't hit blood sugar spikes in the morning.  At all.  No need to a 9:00 smoothie.  I'm full and satiated until lunch.  Lunch, I bring in some carbs, but again, I've been trying to keep the body in fat burning mode.
My experiment is only a week old...but I am excited to see where it goes and how it may (or may not) help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment