Thursday, March 10, 2016

Trucker Hats and Beards

Public Service Announcement:  Salomon S-Labs Sense 5s feel like slippers.  Seriously.

I've decided that while training is great...it's often a bit overrated.  Indeed, the most overlooked aspect of properly preparing for an ultra is trucker hats and beards.

I've taken a slightly different approach to my training for the Ice Age 50 (May 14th)...and I'm listening a lot more to my body.  In fact, my training has boiled down to these principles:

1. Get in "a few" run in the week with ONE QUALITY run and ONE HILLY run.
2. Strength train like a boss.
3. Make your weekend runs epic.

Everything else is just details.  Except trucker hats and beards.  Those are non-negotiable.

Last weekend I knocked out 2 hours on Sat and 4 hours on Sunday...I called it the HAF (Hilly as F*%#) Back-to-Back.  LOTS of climbing and LOTS of persistence.  In fact, #RelentlessForwardProgress is now my new ultra motto.  Figure out the big stuff...let the details take care of themselves...and KEEP MOVING FORWARD.  Just like Rocky said, trail running "ain't about how hard your can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."  And trucker hats and beards.



1 comment: